Sunday, February 22, 2004

Random Thoughts

Once upon a time, when the moon was still young, there was a blog site called Random Thoughts. Random Thoughts eventually evolved into the blog site you currently read today, Brain Droppings. And while the name has changed over time (and will undoubtedly change again eventually) the premise of the names remain the same: this web log is all about the many thoughts, ideas, and experiences that run through my head. What you read is but one of a trillion synapses that is most prevalent at the time of my post. The reason I mention this? While I know some of you are expecting a post of this weekend's activities, it's not going to happen...today. There's something more pressing I need to talk about...

Last Monday, I took my sister out for lunch. We don't talk to each other all that much, so I thought it was a good thing to grab a bite to eat and see how she was doing with life. She had recommended a Thai buffet, which was fine with me since I like love Thai food and was guaranteed to get a full stomach's worth of food. Getting there, I was a little apprehensive about the place since it seemed a bit hole-in-the-wall to me. But I wasn't worried, my sister had their food before. Then walking into the restaraunt I had questioned to myself why we were the only customers they had. But I wasn't worried, my sister had their food before. Then I wondered why there was a guy waiting for what seemed an eternity to get his Thai take-out. But I wasn't worried, their service couldn't be that bad; having eaten their meals before, my sister represents return business. Then I had sampled their Pad Thai noodles and basil chicken; good tasting all-you-can-eat Pad Thai, I was going to make this restaraunt sorry. My negative energies about the place disappeared...mostly...

The guy waiting for his take-out was still waiting and quite some time had passed (I had finished off two full plates of Pad Thai noodles). I could tell he was getting antsy. "How could service be this bad?" I thought. I asked this same question to my sister, whom I previously assumed had eaten at this establishment before, and her response: "I don't know, this is my first time here." All the worries I had of the place returned and some more worries popped up. I went over to our server, who seemed MIA for a long time and asked for more water. As she gave me the glasses, she pointed to the guy and whispered to me, "That guy, health inspector, surprise inspection."

By the way all the other workers were acting, I was under the impression that this surprise inspection wasn't going to go so well. I guzzled my glass of water hoping to dilute the food potentially made in unsanitary conditions. Our server saw this and came over to our table filling my glass with bad food dilutant again. She had told us that everything was fine and to get more food. I had never been so scared to get another plate of buffet food in my life. Even more intimidating was the health inspector testing the buffet area as I got my third plate of food.

Needless to say, my sister and I got out of there in a hurry. We might have even gotten out of there just in time. If my sister and I waited a few minutes later, we might have been trapped in the restaraunt forever, the doors locked by huge orange stickers that say "Restaraunt close due to unsanitary conditions by order of health inspector." I wonder if that place on Touhy and California is still open. Oh well, it's not like I'll be going there ever again.

The moral of the story - Don't eat food at restaraunts recommended by starving college students. They'll eat anything.

To make certain people happy, here's a prelude to a post about this weekend:



(Eric, Caressa, Me and Carl at PJ Clarkes - Restaraunt Road Rules Destination Point)

No comments: