Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Smalltown USA
Stopped by OfficeMax today, the place that funded my lunch money in high school and gas money in college. I saw some new faces (it's retail, there's ALWAYS a new face lurking somewhere), but also a couple familiar ones, the ones I used to work with. The OfficeMax on Harlem and Lawrence reminds me of movies about unhappy smalltown people trying to "make it big" and leave the smalltown for bigger and better things. It's so true, I should know - I worked there for 5 friggin years.

Every year was supposed to be my last Back-to-School and each year I was back for it. I was stuck at OfficeMax and no matter what I did, I couldn't get out. I wasn't the only one though; in the time I was there, I heard just about everyone bitch and moan about the place. But we were all still there. We would talk about leaving, but no one ever really did. And even the ones who did leave came back (in Carl's case over and over again).

On my way out of Omax, I ran into Leo. He shook my hand and told me that he was proud that I was able to make something of myself beyond OfficeMax. In his eyes, I was one of the few who made it, who left the "smalltown" for bigger endeavors, an Omax success story. This smalltown boy is making it big in the world!

OK, here comes the always redundant

Daily Fact of the Day: Skunks can shoot their stinky spray only 6-10 feet, but it can be smelled up to 2.5 miles away...Conversely at a distance of 6-10 feet, Carl's asshole is 2.5 miles wide

No comments: