Tuesday, January 27, 2004

What I Do For a Paycheck

OK class, today we are going on a field trip and learning what I do for a living. Why? Because for whatever friggin reason (full moon, the end of the world, menopause...), the subject seems to be a hot topic over the last 3 weeks among circles. And before people begin to start thinking that I deal or that they've seen me on the corner of Armitage and Pulaski flagging down cars saying, "Hey, soldier boy, five dollah, sucky-sucky," I would like to come clean (pardon the pun) once and for all....

So class, what have I already told you about what I do?

-You work in downtown Chicago
-You work in the Sears Tower
-At the beginning of the day, you bend over, grab your ankles tightly and take it up the ass all day


That's absolutely correct. And that's basically all you really need to know. But I guess you want specifics. *sigh* Here it goes:

>>>A good part of my day is dealing with currency (money). To be exact, I myself work with an equivalent of approximately $400 million a day. Every once in a while I get to play with close to the equivalent of ***pinky to edge of mouth in Dr. Evil fashion*** $2 billion . I say equivalent because I deal with currency trading, meaning not just US dollars (USD) but other currencies as well - the Euro (EUR), British Pound (GBP), Japanese Yen (JPY) just to name a few. Currency trading is basically an equation. There are two sides to each transaction (buyer and seller). My job is to make sure both sides are in harmony with each other (gosh, I make it seem like I play the Architect role in that them thur Matrix Reloaded movie, except I don't use the big words he used)

>>>A lot of my leftover time is spent on project management. I manage an expensive piece of software. I make sure that the software meets users' needs and if not, I help in making sure that whatever they need is developed. And if there are issues with the software, I make sure that the issue gets resolved without negative impact to the business work process (simple IT jargon, got it?). To make things more interesting, this software is global in nature; our office in London also uses it. So, if there's a problem in London, they contact me to help fix it which is kewl....but because they're 6 hours ahead of us, time is never my friend

>>>My mornings are spent on the phone talking to my contacts from around the world - New York, San Francisco, London, Germany, Norway. We talk numbers (literally) except with Kurt in which topics range from fantasy football to cheese curds. It's good stuff.

>>>Whatever's left in the day is devoted soley to more important duties - updating my fantasy basketball team (woohoo 1st place), shooting rapid fire e-mails back and forth among VIPs (i.e. Stacey and Becky)...and baking cookies



Daily Fact of the Day: It is not possible to lick your own elbow. Try it. We know you will

No comments: