Friday, December 05, 2003

Restaraunt Review

Working in downtown Chicago for a pretty good company (I really can't give it a more specific description, but it is totally legit, promise) isn't so bad. It even has perks when you're considered an important piece of their business thingamajiggy. One of the companies we have a relationship with took a few of us out for dinner at this restaraunt called Spago.

The atmosphere of the place seemed really laid back but lively. The design of the place was nice too; it had a classy feel with contemporary ceilings. If you aren't going to order wine (extensive wine list), you won't be happy with the choice of drink selections at the bar. A friend of mine wanted a strawberry daiquiri and was turned down because they don't make daiquiries there (oooh, like it's not classy enough to meet their standards or something).

For appetizers, we ordered a chicken pizza and some calamari (they used descriptive words to fluff up the two, but to keep it simple, pizza and calamari). The pizza to me was nothing to rave about. I liked the calamari, but I am a fan so I'm a bit biased on that one. Someone else ordered steak tartar. I've never heard of it before. When it came out it look like dog food taken out of a can. And then I found out it was raw meat. Figures, a dog ordering dog food (yes, there are people at work I'm not too thrilled about).

I also ordered a bowl of butternut squash soup. I'm also a fan of butternut squash. My sister made this soup for Thanksgiving. Spago's wasn't as thick as hers, but I think it was just as good. So, Lorabel, good job on the soup, you can work at Spago, if your drama/GAP career doesn't work out =)

For my main course I ordered a steak with mashed potatoes and vegetables. I almost didn't want to eat it because it looked pretty. I can't turn down a steak though, and the sauce they put on it (no clue what it is) was really good.

For dessert, I ordered a strawberry shortcake. It was really big and by the time dessert came, I was way full. I ended up splitting the dessert with several people at the table. It was really good.

The service was muy excellente. They had servers watching over the table making sure that we were fully taken care of. The chef even gave us complimentary cups of soup before the appetizers arrived.

Overall, dinner was pretty good. However, one great thing about Chicago is that there are a ton of restaraunts to check out. We could have probably gone to a restaraunt with the same level of service and food quality for a less expensive price. Oh well, it's good corporate cards exist because if I had to take the $700 bill, I'd probably have a heart attack.

No comments: