Saturday, December 06, 2003

A Twisted Concert

Ummm, The Daily Rant of the Day:

I'm gettin old. I hear the crackling in my knees and I feel the aching in my back. My memory is going too (can't blame that on old age, it's because of that evil school and its dymensia). A few days ago I got tickets for a radio station's holiday show. The show's lineup wasn't too bad - AFI, Dashboard Confessional, 311, Korn, and Jane's Addiction. Walking in to the place though, I couldn't help but feeling a bit out of place. My eyes naturally scanned for the alcohol stand, but the lines for alcohol were non-existant, which was all too wierd for me (an alcohol-free show on a weekend? wtf??). Why? The majority of the crowd was between 12 and 20. True there were older people there, but that was because their kids needed rides to the place and the parents were either A) trying to prove that they could get jiggy with their kid's time (very sad) or B) they were dragged into going against their will (even sadder).

AFI was the show opener. A lot of shouting and hair-flopping. Not much music involved. A real-life South Park version of Tim-may would've kept me more entertained. AFI finished their set and the grade school/high school kiddies loved'em. Dashboard came out next. I thought they were pretty good. The times I could make out the lyrics (barn acoustics suck), Dashboard showed that they actually had substance to their music. They were better than I thought, but the guys sitting a row behind us, and what seemed like the general consensus was that DC sucked. What? Huh? These guys actually sung and they suck? Let me borrow Stacey's hair, gimme a few drinks, an evil twitch, take me back to last Sunday and I could still do a better job than what AFI did...

But that's me. And if I asked people around my age, they'd better probably agree with me. Which brings me to my point (yes, there is a Brothers Grimm not-a-moral reason to this post). Maybe it really is me or "us" though. The stuff that defines the meaning of music (there exists only good music, shit music is a redundant term) for me is based on what I have listened to growing up. And what I listened to growing up is way different from what's on the radio now. Which is really sad, because kids today are deprived; they couldn't tell the difference between music and shit with all the shit that's on the radio. From an old-timer to all you newbies out there: they don't make music nowadays like they used to.

No comments: