Tuesday, December 16, 2003

A Work Rant

I knew this week was going to be a really, really bad work week. It's kinda like the early cramps that a woman gets before she starts to rag. But I had no idea how bad the last two days could possibly be. The worst thing was I had no one to go to or fall back on to help me out. It was just me, and all me, trying to resolve issues and get things completed before strict time-sensitive deadlines pass. I understand that I might be the most knowledgeable person about a certain process or two. But please, when I need someone to lend a hand, step up and take some initiative...

Coming straight out of school (or for Carl, cumming directly out of school...oooohh!), I worked for a very prestigious investment bank for an asshole boss. But although he was an asshole, I was able to pick up on three big things that I could apply to people in general:

1. People lack accountability
2. People lack organization
3. People lack tenacity

Since I've worked for Mr. Asshole, I don't think I've met a single person who's disproven these generalizations. It kills me that people bitch and moan they aren't recognized for their accomplishments, when they don't even want to associate themselve with the mistakes they've made. It kills me that in a profession that requires you to be flexible and adaptable, many can't hang simply because they weren't prepared enough. It kills me that people are more than willing to accept the status quo when there are tons of opportunities to not only take the ball, but run with it.

And it kills me that I'm only 24-years old and I'm the one telling 30 and 40-year olds to open their eyes. At my age in this industry, I'm still considered a kid. All this stuff should be way over my head. So why the hell am I the one running the friggin show???

No comments: